How to choose a right slim ethernet patch cable?
As network devices and household electric appliances become smaller, the ethernet network cables that connected to them also need to be thinner and thinner. The diameter of the ethernet cable we usually use is generally about 6.0mm, which will occupy a lot of cabling space, and even the inside of some devices cannot accommodate such a thick ethernet cable at all. Therefore, the market needs require manufacturers to produce network cables with smaller diameter. After several years of development, the production process of slim ethernet cables has become more mature, and the equipment has become more and more sophisticated, so many types of slim patch cables have gradually appeared in the market.
What slim ethernet cables are available to choose in the market?
There are mainly two types of ultra slim patch cables in the market, namely shielded ultra slim patch cables and unshielded ultra slim patch cables, with their OD ranging from 2.8mm to 4.8mm
Show slim network cables OD
What is the structure of the slim ethernet cables?
There are mainly 3 types of structures of ultra slim ethernet cables:
1. The unshieded(UTP) slim cable with 4 pairs twisted wires + Out Jacket
2. The shielded(F/UTP) cable with 4pairs twisted wires + AL Foil + Drain wire + Out Jacket
3. The shielded(F/FTP) cable with (1pair twisted wires + AL Foil) * 4P+Drain wire +Overall Al foil + jacket
Note: 4 pairs colors
• Pair1=Orange, Orange – White
• Pair2=Blue, Blue – White
• Pair3=Green, Green – White
• Pair4=Brown, Brown – White
inside of the slim ethernet cable
To see more clearly about the inside structure of these cables, you can see bellow cross section picture:
cross section of the slim cables
Have you ever worried about the slim patch cable’s performance?
Because the slim patch cable’s OD is so small, how do they meet category 6a or category 7 performance? Bellow test reports to show you their performance is better than what you are thinking.
Our UTP slim patch cable can pass Cat6a UTP Fluke channel test. F/UTP slim patch cable can pass Cat6a FTP Fluke channel test. F/FTP slim patch cable can pass Cat7 FTP Fluke channel test. What’s more, our assembling 28AWG OD:3.8mm slim patch cable can pass Cat6a Fluke Patch cord test (Component Test).
Cat6a UTP channel test and patch cord test reports
What are the advantages of slim ethernet cables?
1. Reduced Size: Because of its smaller diameter the 28 AWG cables offer 50% less cordage than standard CAT6 cables – allowing better air flow and less clutter in front of switches and patch panels.
2. Flexibility: Since the OD is small, it means a smaller bending radius, The reduced diameter of the cables also makes them more flexible and much easier to route through cable management in comparison to your standard cable.
3. Lighter Weight
4. Save material cost
5. Excellent ventilation and heat dissipation
6. This smaller diameter brings great benefits in cable manageability and aesthetics
||Surface Area Reduced than OD:6.0 Cable (%)
||Bend Radius (mm)
||Patch Cable Length
||Under 15 meters
||Under 20 meters
||Under 15 meters
||Under 20 meters
||Under 20 meters
What are the disadvantages of slim ethernet cables?
Because the inside core wires use thinner conductors, which means that the conductor’s resistance is larger and the signal is attenuated faster during the data transmission process, so the slim network cables cannot be used for long-distance transmission.
But how to choose a right slim patch cable to fit your needs?
1. First, you should know your requirements for the speed of the network, so as to determine which cable category to choose. If you need 10Gigabit data transmission speed, you should choose Cat6a or Cat7.
2. Second, whether there is interference from the surrounding electrical equipment. If there is interference, then you should choose a shielded slim patch cable, if no interference, then you can choose a unshielded slim patch cable.
3. The length of the network cable use. If the length is long, try to choose a slim patch cable with a larger conductor, like 28AWG.
4. Indoor or outdoor use? You should think about if this network cable needs water, oil, UV resistant?
5. The working temperature. The common PVC/TPE/LSZH jacket ethernet cable works in temperature -20℃ to +75℃. If the temperature bellow -20℃ or over 75℃ below 85℃, you can choose modified PVC jacket cable.
COMNEN As the first batch of manufacturers to develop Cat6a and Cat7 slim network cables and slim patch cables, we can provide a series of slim network cables, shielded and unshielded, OD 2.8 to OD 4.8 mm. The outer jacket materials can be PVC, TPE, LSZH and modified PVC; The lengths are range from 0.1m to 20m, and the colors are black, white, blue, gray, yellow, green, red and etc. Or you provide the color number, we will match the color according to the provided color number. Our slim patch cables built in two types of boots: assembling boots and molded boots:
Boot types of slim patch cords
Our slim patch cable have been sold all over the world. We have the following slim cable diameters, Molded boot models, assembly boot models, and modular plugs for you to choose from. We can also provide OEM ODM services according to your individual needs.
COMNEN’s molded boots options
In a summary, what the ethernet cable fits you is the best. If you have any question about network cables or network patch cables, welcome to leave us a message, we are happy to discuss with you and give you our professional ideas. Surely you can inquiry us by email at email@example.com